Consider yourself invited to a series of community events where you can meet up with the SHS Outreach and Enrollment team.
Dr. Karimah Baptiste, SHS Manager of Outreach & Enrollment, and her team of Certified Application Counselors, typically focus on helping people enroll in the federal insurance Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act (also known as ACA or Obamacare).
“People may not realize that ACA is still the law of the land, and we can still help with Special Enrollments for certain circumstances, like having a new baby or losing your job and coverage,” she said. “We’re also out in the community to spread the word about all of our healthcare services.”
Here are some of the places you’ll find the SHS team:
- Resiliency Rally: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, May 13 at Arrowhead Stadium. This is a free rally to showcase resiliency resources and promote resiliency skills. The family-friendly event offers free food, and transportation is available from Don Boscoe Community Center, Greg Klice Community Center and Southeast Community Center, starting at 9:30 a.m. and every half-hour until 1:30 p.m. The last return shuttle from Arrowhead leaves at 2:30 p.m. The rally features Cookie Monster, from Sesame Street. The first 50 people to attend will get a Sesame Street plush toy and the first 100 will get a free T-shirt.
- 4th Annual Family 101 5K and Block Party, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Satruday, May 20 at the New Bethel Church, 645 Walker Ave., Kansas City, Kan. This day-long event kicks off with a 5K Color run and walk, followed by a free HealthFair starting at 9 a.m. and the Block Party at 10 a.m. The free Block Party features music, dancing, food trucks, carnival games, basketball, a soccer clinic and bicycle give-away. The first 200 adults to register to run, bike or walk get a $5 food voucher.
- KC PrideFest, June 2,3 and 4, at Berkeley Riverfront Park. SHS is proud to be a sponsor of the event and will offer giveaways and informational handouts, plus a photo booth perfect for taking and sharing selfies. The event features DJs, headline musical performers, a kid’s zone, LGBTQIA Youth Zone, marketplace and food fair. Tickets are available in advance from the Kansas City Diversity Coalition for $7.50/day (advance) or $10/day during the event. Kids 12 and under get in free.
From July to September, the SHS Outreach will attend Back-to-School Fairs at these school districts: Kansas City, Mo.; Kansas City, Kan.; Center; Hickman Mills; North Kansas City; Independence; and Grandview.
And beyond that, the SHS Outreach team offers free presentations to civic groups, churches and community centers on How to Use Insurance. These programs explain how insurance works and give participants an understanding of terms like co-pay, deductible, co-insurance, in-network, PPO and HMO, among others.
At every event, the SHS Outreach team helps with questions on insurance eligibility, Special Enrollment, Medicaid enrollment and disability benefits. The team provides information about the wide range of SHS services, including adult healthcare, pediatrics, behavioral health for children and adults, optometry and dentistry.
If you’d like more information about SHS Outreach services or would like to schedule a program, please call 816-599-5590.
Can I Use Special Enrollment?
You can enroll or change plans under the federal insurance Marketplace if you have certain life changes, or qualify for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Here is a list of the qualifying life events:
- A change in family, such as marriage, divorce, childbirth
- Moved out of your coverage area
- Lost your coverage
- Graduated from college
- Become a lawful citizen
- Been released from prison
Typically, there is a 60-day window for enrolling from the date the event occurs.
Do you have questions about the Affordable Care Act or getting affordable health insurance? In addition to the resources at Healthcare.gov, you can contact SHS Outreach & Enrollment for an appointment at 816-599-5590.