Mark your calendars and plan to join us Saturday, Nov. 10, at City Market for the SHS Fourth Annual Socks and Hops, a benefit to raise funds and awareness of SHS’s Healthcare for the Homeless program.
Last year’s event collected more than 4,000 pairs of socks, which are distributed to patients via our Mobile Medical Unit (MMU) and SHS’ Community Services clinic.
“Socks are among the most requested items at homeless shelters,” said Amy Kuhnlein, Community Affairs Manager at SHS.
“Socks provide warmth and protection, and in many cases, they help prevent frostbite.”
She continued: “We want to give socks to everyone who needs them AND raise awareness of the needs of the homeless people in our community.”
The annual event, held inside City Market at 20 W. Fifth St., in downtown Kansas City, also includes raffles for a wide array of items, including tickets to the Lyric Opera, $100 in steaks from KC Steak Company and gift baskets featuring wines, snacks, beard grooming products and much, much more!
In addition to the raffles, attendees can sample food and drink prepared by some of the city’s best-loved chefs and brewers.
“Socks and Hops is special – it allows the most talented chefs and brewers come together to create a unique culinary experience,” said Michael Crane, president and co-founder of Crane Brewing Co. “Attendees have the opportunity to enjoy these unique pairings that are not available at any other venue.”
Crane, who has supported all of the previous years’ events, says he feels honored to have been a part of this growing event. Prior to getting involved, he says he was not familiar with Swope Health.
“I was not aware of the important work SHS does in providing health care to the homeless and underserved in the community,” says Crane. “Socks and Hops not only provides important funding but creates an awareness in our community that we all must reach out to help those in need.”
There are two options for attending:
- The VIP package: For $75, receive early admission to the event for VIP happy hour at 6 p.m., designated parking in the City Market Square parking lot, a Socks and Hops sampling mug, and an exclusive VIP gift bag.
- General admission: For $45, you’ll get admission to the event beginning at 7 p.m., plus a Socks and Hops sampling beer mug. General admission parking is in the lot west of the City Market or just behind the Steamboat Arabia Museum. The event runs until 10 p.m.
Guests are encouraged to bring new, warm socks to the event.
Here is a list of the restaurants and brewers you’ll find at the event.
- Torn Label Brewing Co. and Poio
- Big Rip Brewing Co. and Port Fonda
- Double Shift Brewing Co. and Bay Boy Specialty Sandwiches
- Stockyards Brewing Co. and Urban Café
- Louisburg Cider Mill (non-alcoholic) and Bloom Baking Co.
- Strange Days Brewing Co. and Local Pig
- Crane Brewing and Hogshead Kansas City
- Cinder Block Brewery and Vildhast KC
- Pirate’s Bone coffee
And a special thank you to our sponsors, in-kind donors and contributors for Heater Meals:
- Sumner One/UDP
- Missouri WellCare
- Home State Health
- Interior Landscapes
- Missouri Primary Care Association (MPCA)
- Fulfillment Plus
- Lockton Companies
- Blue Gurus
- RSM US LLP
- UHC KS
- Consolidated Communications
- Kutak Rock
- Benton Lloyd & Chung
- SJ Insights LLC
- United American Security
- Sirius Computer Solutions